Something's been irking me for a while now, and I really feel like it's time to get some closure.
You see, every time I write a witty and poignant email, I get to the sign off part and freeze up. I just can't seem to figure out how to close my email with style. I mean, "Thanks" is okay if I'm asking the addressee to do something, but if not, what am I thanking them for? Reading my email? "Sincerely" seems old fashioned and less than sincere. "Love" is inappropriate in most situations (although Chris and I love to joke about ending a formal business letter with "Love, Lisa." Isn't that hilarious?) My fifth grade teacher wrote "Best Regards" in my yearbook, so that's out. "Cheers" is too European. "Adios" is too obvious. And "Enjoy" is just creepy.
So where does that leave me? I want something that makes you think, "That Lisa is one of a kind (off her rocker)..." Something truly original. Something to remember me by.
The first things that come to mind are, of course, memorable lines from movies. "May the force be with you," "Show me the money," or "Live free or die hard." These are good, but not quite as original as I had hoped.
Jacob suggested "Stay thirsty my friends," so clearly he's been watching too many beer commercials. But the "Stay...(something)" opens up a whole category of its own. "Stay classy, San Diego," "Stay awesome," or "Stay perky" are all viable options, but they're almost as annoying as those people that are always saying "Smile!" I mean, it's my dang face, and I'll frown if I want to.
As a rule, commands in general seem inappropriate, so that eliminates "Keep it real" and "Hang loose." And unfortunately, using that criteria, I also have to mark off "Be fruitful and multiply." Chris said that belonged to God anyway. I told him the Big Guy wouldn't mind if I borrowed it, but then he started muttering something about copyright infringement, and I tuned him out and marked it off.
I've had the most luck so far with pluralized conjunctions. And if you've gotten a random email from me with an unusual closing, you've been one of my test subjects. These are the best so far:
Scratches and sniffs
Peace, love and sweet tea
Sparkles and puppies
Tickles and squirts
Winks and snuggles
Twinkles and moonbeams
Bubbles and hand grenades
Really, any combination works. Don't they just make you smile?
So, tell me. What's your favorite? Don't like these? Suggest new ones. Believe me, it's lots of fun. Before you know it, you'll be laughing your head off.
*Special thanks to my buddy Lauren for helping me brainstorm.
Tutus and polka dots,
Lisa <3
Live Long and Prosper?
ReplyDeleteAnd I have the same issue as well. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
Dana uses "Camarón que se duerme se lo lleva la corriente" translation "The shrimp that sleeps gets carried away by the current"
ReplyDeleteOr, just sign off with: Word.
I like the safari inspired "Moving On".
ReplyDeleteLisa, I love reading your blog!! I often find myself laughing out loud!! My favorite ending you have listed is "bubbles and hand grenades".
ReplyDeleteFun! This a perpetual problem for me too. My office uses the slogan "puppies and rainbows and unicorns" for all that is (often naively) innocent and happy. It combines a few of your themes. Bubbles and hand grenades is a fun one too. The mental images from tickles and squirts, though, are a bit too graphic... Share more as they come!
ReplyDeleteI had the same issue, i tend to end mine with "Smiles" of the above my favorie is "winks and snuggles"
ReplyDeleteThanks for all the suggestions. Y'all are really good at this. I'm still having commitment issues, though. Maybe I should just sign off with "Awwwwk--ward."
ReplyDeleteSooooo funny! I love the peace, love and sweet tea.....more for the tea than the 70's nostalgia.
ReplyDelete