When we first arrived in Tijuana and I had no yard to send the boys to, I asked everyone I met if there were any safe parks I could take my kids to. I always got the same answer.
"Yes. Go to San Diego."
Now, I don't know about anyone else, but an hour spent crossing the border so the boys can throw a ball or run around was not exactly what I had in mind. Now don't get me wrong. We do go to San Diego-- a lot. But there are just some days that I don't feel like the hassle and time it takes to cross an international border twice in one day. Sometimes it is easy and takes as little as 15 minutes of waiting in line. Other days, just getting back into Mexico can take over an hour. These are the days that I usually see U.S. Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) officers chasing people on foot.
But back to my point. So I kept asking to no avail for a park in Tijuana. And I kept getting told no parks. And I would smile and try not to show my disappointment.
But I was just asking the wrong question.
With open mouths, we beheld the maze of plastic tubing and twisted slides in a rainbow of different colors. I decided right then and there, as I was greeted by the private security guard waiting at the door, that we would manage without a local park.
So if you're looking for us, we'll be at the playground. I'll be the gringa trying not to eat all the kids' french fries.
I never would've thought of that - what a neat solution, i.e. good excuse to go out for a milkshake.
ReplyDeleteLove the indoor playgrounds! What a great way to escape!
ReplyDeleteBTW - my floors are never clean. I take the picture from the cleanest angle possible and then crop it as small as possible so no one sees the mess. For example, the one with the couch in the corner, the couch was piled a mile high with laundry! Are you on facebook?