Monday, November 1, 2010

Halloween Revealed

It's November 1st which means we've survived the three day Halloween extravaganza and partied until we're pooped. The kids are suffering from Halloween candy hangovers today, but somehow, I managed to drag them out of bed, to feed them something other than candy (Poptarts are technically not candy), and to get them off to school.

Since I know that everyone has been checking this blog throughout the weekend in anxious anticipation of our costume debut, without further delay, I present the costumes.

The award for the
best legs goes to Andrew, the Spider. The trick here was to incorporate my sling into the costume so that it would be easier to carry him. What I didn't count on was him getting too hot and refusing to be in the sling. So, it was a cute costume for about 20 minutes. After that I probably looked pretty ridiculous with black tubes hanging down the front of me while he threw himself backwards in protest.


Nobody puts Benjy in a box, except literally.
Benjy, the Jack-in-a-box, was the cutest clown with four corners. Thanks to Oakwood's recent relocation of us, we had plenty of boxes lying around that inspired this costume. I had the most fun making this one with Jacob and Benjy, who helped me paint and decorate the box. An important note: children in boxes cannot climb stairs. They may also be prone to fall and not be able to get back up. I say, "A small price to pay to look cute." Chris says, "No box costumes next year." But he didn't say anything about 2012...


And now for the most photographed costume of the weekend.
Random people actually asked to take his photo. Jacob, the Beheaded, struck fear in the hearts of all who saw him. Okay, it was just two-year-old little girls that were scared, but I think that meets his scary costume stipulation. How would you have felt if this was at your door?


Mostly, people thought it was really cool. Questions of the evening ranged from "How did you get his head in a jar?" to "Can he breathe in there?" Answers ranged from "We cut it off and put it in there," to "Who cares? He looks awesome, right?" We did have to give him jar-free, fresh air moments, but rest assured, he never passed out from lack of oxygen. I'm a good parent, so I didn't let Chris put the lid on it. The only real problem with this costume was Jacob's inability to hold his own candy bag, which wouldn't have really been a problem if he hadn't insisted on being the first to the door each time. You have to admit, it's pretty creepy to see a headless trench coat running down the hall.


Guest appearances were made by Buzz Lightyear at Benjy's preschool and by Batman at Jacob's friend's birthday party.















And Andrew discovered that he really likes lollipops.















Last but not least, Halloween would not be complete without at least one shirtless, pumpkin carving picture, so here are three.


6 comments:

  1. Absolutely wonderful. I'm sorry we weren't on the candy list to have been able to see this in person. But we were busy shopping for our move this week. And, we ate all of the candy ourselves. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, since you are all out, if you need more candy give us a holler before you leave. We have more than enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those costumes are AWESOME! I love the headless Jacob. YOu are so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jacob The Beheaded was by far the best costume I've seen in a long time. The costume has been mentally filed away for the time when Mila rebels against teddy bears and princess costumes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! I think you win the costumes award!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love, love, LOVE the beheaded costume!!!

    ReplyDelete