Saturday, August 27, 2011

The Talk

We had the talk with Jacob this week.  You know the one.  I remember having it with my parents more than once, and I knew that eventually the time would come to have it with our boys.  They sure do grow up fast.

Jacob came home from school on Thursday and announced that he would be spending the night at his friend's house on Friday night.  I said something like, "That's nice.  I haven't heard anything about that.  We'll see...," and shrugged it off.

Then after dinner our phone rang.  It was the friend calling to make the arrangements to spend the night at our house.  He said Jacob had invited him over. 

So Chris and I sat Jacob down and had the talk with him.  You know, the one where we explain that he's not allowed to make plans without checking with me first.  It's a good rule to follow for the rest of his life.  Eventually it will be a wife and not a mother that he's answering to.

But first, we had to get to the bottom of the communication breakdown.

Me: Jacob, did you invite Friend over to our house on Friday night?  You told me you were going to his house.

Jacob:  I guess.  We just talked about a sleepover.  We didn't decide where.

Me:  So you wanted to go to Friend's house.

Jacob: Yeah.

Me:  And Friend wanted to come to your house.

Jacob: Yeah.
Me: So...were you going to swap families for the day?

Jacob: No...

Chris: Jacob, whose idea was the sleepover?

Jacob: (looks down at the floor with sheepish grin) Mine.

And that's how we ended up hosting a sleepover at our house last night.  All the boys had a blast, and it almost made Chris and I want to have a few more children.  Almost.

1 comment: